Higher Infrastructure Officer
HMRC is the UK’s tax, payments and customs authority and we have a vital purpose: we collect the money that pays for the UK’s public services and help families and individuals with targeted financial support.
Digital Support and Innovation (DSI) sits within HMRC’s wider Fraud Investigation Service (FIS) responsible for the department’s civil and criminal investigation work. FIS ensures that HMRC has an effective approach to taking on the most serious tax evasion and fraud.
Working across Law Enforcement and government, DSI provides investigative tools and covert techniques to front-line investigations and works with key partners to develop and provide access to new technology and systems to enable investigators to respond to serious and complex tax evasion and crime.
HMRC’s Cyber & Digital Forensics (C&DF) plays an integral role in Her Majesty’s Government’s fight against serious and organised crime, supporting investigations totalling hundreds of millions of pounds each year. Our forensic practitioners are a key part of the UK Law Enforcement community, working on a variety of cases, from corporate criminality to tobacco smuggling.
C&DF is a well-established, national resource with a strong delivery record and a reputation for robust results. Our services are in high demand, as we embrace the challenges posed by the pace of technology development and advances in data exploitation. As such, we are looking for talented individuals with a passion for computer science to join our rapidly expanding team.
The Infrastructure Higher Officer role is pivotal to the successful delivery of a significant investment in capability and offers varied and challenging work.
The primary responsibility of this role is to support all technology underpinning C&DF business as usual activity. This supports Investigators as they capture, investigate and analyse forensic evidence, extracted from digital media devices that have been, or are suspected of being, used in the commission of crime.
Alongside this, the Infrastructure Higher Officer will be expected to play a leading role in the management of assigned infrastructure services and technologies, working with the HMRC corporate IT department and a range of external suppliers and experts. This will often involve tactical responses, delivered at pace, under pressure, whilst complying with the standards required by the criminal justice system.
• Good knowledge of network technologies such as DNS, DHCP and protocols around TCP/IP such as FTP and SMTP.
• Experience with proprietary Cisco technologies/protocols such as HSRP/VPC.
• Experience with Fortigate and/or Cisco ASA firewalls
• Desire to provide support across the extensive Microsoft stack and related infrastructure services, such as Active Directory, Clustering, System Center etc.
• CompTIA A+ or equivalent experience.
• Strong written ability and communication skills
• Degree or degree-level qualification in Information Technology or a related field and/or practical experience supporting an IT environment. Qualifications and certifications held may include (but are not limited to): MCSA, MCSE, CCNA, ITIL Foundation, APM Foundation, CompTIA A+.
• You must hold or be able to obtain SC security clearance.
Further information can be found in the following link;
– Strong analytical and problem solving skills with the ability to take responsibility for resolving problems and applying root cause analysis techniques.
– Capable of managing multiple priorities in fast paced surroundings.
– Flexible approach to work, able to pro-actively take the initiative and work independently with little supervision.
– Ability to acquire new skills quickly and learn on the job.
– Ability to work effectively as part of a team where ideas & skills are shared.
– Preparation of forecasts, bids and reports for budgets, within allocated area of responsibility
Degree or degree-level qualification in Information Technology or a related field and/or practical experience supporting an IT environment. Qualifications and certifications held may include (but are not limited to): MCSA, MCSE, CCNA, ITIL Foundation, APM Foundation, CompTIA A+
Job Reference: 80924
Salary: £35,105 plus an allowance
Salary per: Annum
Job Duration: Permanent
Job Start Date: To be confirmed