Technical Surveillance Support Officer
This role is within the Tactical Surveillance Group (TSG) which sits within DSI Covert Operations.
This is an exciting career opportunity to join a highly skilled and professional unit working at the forefront of organised crime investigations. As a Technical Surveillance Support Officer working on the TSG, you will be part of a team responsible for the management, technical oversight and technical support to covert investigation techniques utilised within organised crime investigations in HMRC.
You will work under the supervision of experienced Technical Surveillance staff and the duties will initially involve undertaking support duties and functions for the team, with the career path to progress on to become a qualified Technical Surveillance Officer within 2-3 years.
Support functions will vary but will include administrative tasks, transporting, collecting and maintaining technical surveillance equipment / vehicles, asset and equipment registers, liaison with internal / external stakeholders, suppliers and other tasks at the direction of the Team Manager.
You will enrol on a range of training courses in the field of electronics, engineering, audio/video, IP, Radio Frequency as well as College of Policing courses; D7 TS Core Skills and D6 Tactics for Techs. You will also be responsible for the development and integration of new technology and processes.
A degree of physical fitness is essential and will be required for the D6 course. You will also be expected to undertake Officer Safety Training including attending regular refreshers.
This role will attract a Flexibility Payment to compensate the jobholder for unplanned late working, duty changes and out of hours attendance. The scope of the allowance may also include on-call and additional hours.
You should note that the nature of the duties mean that a full UK driving licence is required and that the job involves frequent travel across the UK, frequently including nights away from home. This forms part of the desirable criteria which are used in tie-break situations.
Security Vetting to SC (Secret) level will be essential and you must be willing to go through (and pass) this procedure, if not already held.
This role would suit candidates with experience of similar work as well as those leaving full or part time education with relevant qualifications / skillsets. For further information contact the vacancy holder.
The following requirements are essential:
• This post requires National Security Vetting at Security Check (SC) clearance level and you must hold SC vetting or be willing to apply for SC vetting. If you do not hold SC but are willing to go through the process, any job offer would be conditional and may be withdrawn should you fail to achieve the vetting.
• Either hold or being in the process of obtaining a current electronics, engineering or IT qualification such as City & Guilds, BTEC or equivalent.
• A demonstrable keen, healthy interest in technology and IT (the candidate will be expected to articulate this at interview.
• Strong communication skills.
• A degree of physical fitness.
Practical application and knowledge in any of the following areas:
• the technologies behind asset tracking systems including RFDF and GPS.
• Voice and data systems (wired and wireless).
• Audio & video equipment. (transmission, reception, recording and presentation).
• Transmission systems, including GSM, GPRS, 3/4G, Wi-Fi, microwave and wired systems.
• General knowledge of 12v and 24v vehicle electrics and electronic systems.
• Basic knowledge of IP networking and associated systems/devices (hardware and software).
This role presents a career path to become a qualified Technical Surveillance Officer. As such a number of training courses in the field of electronics, engineering, audio/video, IP, Radio Frequency as well as College of Policing courses; D7 TS Core Skills and D6 Tactics for Techs. Some of these courses will be residential
Full UK Driving Licence
Either hold or being in the process of obtaining a current electronics, engineering or IT qualification such as City & Guilds, BTEC or equivalent.
Must hold pass at GCSE (or equivalent):
Job Reference: 102197
Salary per: Annum
Job Duration: Permanent
Job Start Date: